<< Go back

My HR Knowledge Bank

Welcome to My HR Knowledge Bank.  You will find frequently asked questions on all current HR Policies and procedures, links to all policies, useful forms, guidelines and toolkits.

Page: 1 2 ()


Can travelling time be claimed when attending seminars or conferences?

A full time employee, who attends a seminar, conference or non-qualification course on a normal working day, will be credited with standard working hours for that day. A part time employee will be credited with the time attended up to a maximum of 7 hours and 24 minutes.


Does the Council deliver training, or should an external training provider be used?

The Council's People Development Team delivers a wide range of training, learning and development. Information on the current timetable can be accessed here.


How do I know what training I can go on?

Your performance at work will be discussed between you and your manager via performance review meetings, one-to-one meetings and associated discussions. In these meetings you will discuss your job performance, strengths and areas for development, along with individual and Council priorities.

You and your manager should discuss any relevant training, learning and development that will develop your performance in your job, and enable you to deliver the Council's services.


How is qualification training identified and paid for?

The need for qualification training should be identified during discussions between an employee and their line manager.

If the line manager agrees that a particular qualification is needed as part of the service area training and development plan or due to the service requirements the Council will pay enrolment fees, registration fees, examination or assessment fees, residential fees and some travel expenses in line with the Council's Expenses Scheme.

If you are required to be a member of a professional body, the Council will pay your membership fees for the duration of the training only.

Details of the Council's Expenses Scheme can be accessed here.


How much study leave am I entitled to?

You are entitled to study leave if you need to study for exams, prepare a thesis/dissertation, or any other preparation for a formal qualification.

It is up to your manager how much study leave is granted, and it will depend on the level of the qualification. For example, work-based learning will require less study leave than a post-graduate qualification.

Further guidance can be found in the Training, Learning and Development Policy or from the People Development Team on 01443 424097.

The Council's Training, Learning and Development Policy can be accessed here.


I need to buy academic books for my course; can I claim the costs back?

Initially, you should check if the book has already been purchased by the Council for any other employees who have undertaken the same training, learning or development.

Then, you should use the Council's library service to borrow the book. If you are still unable to source the book, you should speak to your manager who may be able to consider giving approval for the book to be purchased by the Council.

Please note, however, that the book will remain the property of the Council and should be returned to your manager once it is no longer needed for your studies.


If I need to use an external provider, how do I know who to use?

A list of approved providers is available here which contains details of external providers that meet the Council's quality criteria.

Further assistance is available by contacting the People Development Team on 01443 424097.


If training is outside normal working hours, can time off in lieu (TOIL) be claimed?

If the seminar, conference or non-qualification course does not occur on a normal working day, compensatory TOIL will be granted (standard working hours for full time employees, and time attended up to a maximum of 7 hours and 24 minutes for part time employees).

If you are doing a formal qualification course on a day release basis, time will be credited in line with your standard working hours. If the course requires afternoon into evening attendance you will be credited time from when you leave work, including reasonable travel time, up to 5pm less ½ hour for lunch (if not already been accounted for).

If you work shifts, unsociable or irregular hours, special arrangements may be made at the discretion of the Chief Officer.


My manager agrees that the training I want is relevant to my job, but is not able to pay for it, will I be granted time off to attend if I pay for the training myself?

You may be eligible under the "Right to Request Time to Train" contact Human Resources for further advice.


The training I want to do is not relevant to my job, so I am paying for it myself, will the Council give me time off to attend?

You will need to take annual leave or flexi-time if the training, learning or development is not relevant to your job.

Page: 1 2 ()