<< Go back

My HR Knowledge Bank

Welcome to My HR Knowledge Bank.  You will find frequently asked questions on all current HR Policies and procedures, links to all policies, useful forms, guidelines and toolkits.

Page: 1 2 ()


Can a manager insist that an employee use public transport for cost efficiency?

It is for the department to decide on the most appropriate method of travel and managers should consider the most cost effective method of travel.

Consideration should always be given to using public transport for longer journeys, both to avoid additional costs, including tolls and parking, and for convenience.


Can an employee be asked to travel to, or work from a different location to their fixed centre?

Yes, all employees may be required to work anywhere in or outside the Council. If an employee has been asked to work away from their normal fixed centre they are entitled to reimbursement of any excess travelling expenses.

The Council's Expenses Scheme can be accessed here.


Can an employee claim for public transport used whilst on Council business?

Yes, if an employee uses public transport they can claim reimbursement when accompanied by the appropriate receipts.


How can business expenses be claimed if an employee does not have a computer?

Managers can agree the use of the standard corporate claim form, which should be submitted to the manager for authorisation within the monthly period in which the expenses were incurred.


How can rail fares be claimed?

When using the train, employees will be entitled to second class rail travel only. Rail tickets must be purchased in advance by your manager.


How do I claim expenses?

All expenses should be claimed and authorised by your manager using the Council's on line e expenses system, Envoy. Receipts should be kept and details updated on the system for associated expenses such as parking tickets, fuel VAT receipts, toll charges etc.

The Council's Expenses Scheme can be accessed here.


If a team is moved permanently to a new location are they entitled to claim expenses as a result of the move?

Redeployment travelling expenses can be claimed by employees whose place of work is either transferred as a result of reorganisation of local Council areas, or where employees are required to change location (other than movement which forms part of their contract) on a permanent basis.

It is not payable where the move was predicted at the time of the employee's appointment.

In order to be eligible for redeployment expenses the claim must be greater than £2.91 per week.

The Council's Expenses Scheme can be accessed here.


If work requires an overnight stay, can expenses be claimed?

Yes, in some circumstances. Where appropriate and whenever possible, breakfast, lunch and evening meal should be booked together with the accommodation.

Accommodation must be agreed and should, if practicable, be arranged by the service area. Bookings should be made in advance of the stay, requesting that invoices are addressed to the employing service area, which will ensure that the employee will not be out of pocket.  Overnight stays should not exceed the limits set out in Appendix 3 of the policy.

The Council's Expenses Scheme can be accessed here.


What are the criteria for the payment of Subsistence Allowance?

Subsistence allowances are only payable where an employee is directed to undertake duties outside their normal work pattern and outside a 50 mile radius of their fixed centre. Some employees working in the community with client groups' may also be entitled to have the cost of any meals taken with the client reimbursed if the criteria within the policy is met.


What can be claimed for a temporary relocation?

If a move is temporary then the shortest distance rule should be applied either from your home to your new temporary base, or from your fixed centre to your new temporary base, whichever is less. Travelling time should be worked out in the same way.

An example of how this may work can be accessed here.

Page: 1 2 ()